GIANTmicrobes

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Teaching phonics



I made this video to offer a few tips I learned for teaching phonics from the book Overcoming Dyslexia, as well as from other sources.

This video shows just the beginning stages of teaching phonics. Obviously words get more complicated, there are blends, vowel and other letter combinations, digraphs and more to teach. Reading is much more complicated than it seems to be on the surface. It is especially complicated to people with dyslexia.

Teaching dyslexics to read is not an easy task. That is why I am glad I am not alone anymore. When I first had my son tested for dyslexia and told my suspicions were right, I was left pretty much on my own for teaching him. After much research, however, I finally found Reading Horizons at Home. This program not only covers all the rules of reading (and rules for things that don't follow the rules), but offers plenty of interactive activities to make learning more complete. It thoroughly teaches reading skills by having each lesson build on the next (so the learning is compounded). Then there are vocabulary lessons and library lessons to round out the education. The company also has books that include the vocabulary for each lesson so you can provide your reader with even more practice. The phrase "practice makes perfect" couldn't be more true when it comes to reading.

If you have a struggling reader in your home, it is worth checking out Reading Horizons at Home. I can assure you this program will make reading lessons more fun for your dyslexic learner and for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment