GIANTmicrobes

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Christmas in June

My son Nick loves his video games and I don't mind them either as long as I know he's getting everything else he needs in life (food, outdoor time, sleep, etc.).

The one thing I do like about his love of video games is all the research he puts into finding good ones, or getting through certain sections of some. For a boy who absolutely hates reading, nothing can stop him when he's on the trail of a good game. He's signed onto several YouTube sites, blogs, forums and other sites that help him learn more about the games he plays, the games he wants, and new titles he may be interested in.

A game he's recently decided is a must-have is only available for the PlayStation and PSP (the portable version). We only have Nintendo products in our house (the Wii and DSi). But once Nick latches onto something, he will NOT give it up. His stubborn nature can only be matched by mine.

Nick really loves building games, games where he can create his own levels, characters, and more. It seems a natural extension of his love of LEGOs and other building toys.

Shocking
So this new infatuation with the Little Big Planet game didn't surprise me much. The fact that he kept talking about it despite the fact that we don't have any PlayStation devices didn't surprise me much either. When he started pricing the PSP and requesting one for Christmas, I felt that was pretty much on target too.

What did shock the living daylights out of me was how Nick decided he couldn't wait until Christmas and actually did something about getting the system and game he so dearly wanted.

There's a gaming store down the road a bit that will give cash or store credit for old games and systems. Nick had asked them how much they were selling a PSP for. Then when we got home, he gathered up a bunch of his old games and his GameBoy and we took them down to the store. He decided he'd get at least $100 or more for all of it. The whole way to the store I kept telling him not to get his hopes up because I really didn't want him to be disappointed when it all didn't add up to much. That happens sometimes and I just wanted him to be prepared. But he based his estimate on how much he got previously for games he had turned in and it turned out to be a pretty accurate (if not low) estimate. We walked out of the store with a new PSP system, the Little Big Planet game and various accessories AND still had $18 store credit left.

That's my boy!

Nick with his new PSP.

What about Christmas?
Now I have to find something else to get Nick for Christmas. He told me there's plenty of games he'll want. He's always planning ahead.

• • •


I saw the new Toy Story 3 movie with Nick this week and loved it! I cried at least three times, laughed about 100 or more times and had a lot of fun. The 3-D effects weren't overpowering but could have been used a bit more I think. I guess there's a fine line between gratuitous 3-D and not enough, so it's hard for me to say. But still, it was a great movie. My son immediately came home and located his old Toy Story toys from the first two movies to create elaborate scenes for them to act out. I think he actually felt guilty for having stuffed them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment