GIANTmicrobes

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Positive attitude goes a long way for dyslexics

Is a really creative mind the cause of dyslexia or is dyslexia the cause of a really creative mind?

Every time I read a book or story written (or directed) by someone who is dyslexic, they either see their condition as a gift or a curse.

I really enjoy the ones who see it as a gift because they have a really positive attitude, a strong spirit, and despite being told they were stupid when they were younger, they persevere like nobody's business.

That is the kind of attitude I want my son to have. He knows that dyslexia causes him trouble, but he also knows that he's intelligent and creative and much better than me at video games. OK, he's much better than me at a lot of things. I think the fight he puts up to conquer his dyslexic symptoms will give him the fight he needs to conquer the successes out there waiting for him.

...

The most passionate books written by a dyslexic person (who struggled for years to write them) are written by Victor Villasenor. The first book of his I read was Burro Genius: A Memoir. It is so beautifully written and really helps you understand the life of a dyslexic person who has always been told he was stupid and would never amount to anything. You get to see inside his mind and feel his feelings. This book is not for the weak, but as parents or caregivers of dyslexic children, we should all try to understand what their lives are like. I cried not just for Victor but for my mom and all who grew up and went to school before dyslexia was truly understood. I highly, highly recommend this book and others written by Villasenor. And don't worry, after the sad parts are the really great revelations that make your mind spin and let you know that everything will be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment